Friday 25 November 2011

First!

Hi,
    I'm Matt and I'm gonna be a daddy! I'll start my blog with a timeline since I found out my partner was pregnant.

Monday 21st November: My partner pulled me aside to show me something important. It was a positive pregnancy test. At this point I was in total shock, and so was she. In some ways I still am. Needless to say, we barely slept that night.

Tuesday 22nd November: After each thinking about it over the day, we came to the decision that we both want to keep the baby. While discussing the baby and what we are going to do in the future, I mentioned the "How is babby formed" video on you tube (click the link to see the video, it's quite funny). For some reason we have decided to stick with babby as the baby's name, at least until we know the sex.

Wednesday 23rd November: My partner and I both took the day off work to go to our doctors appointment in the morning. He has been my partner's family doctor for about 25 years so naturally, he was the only acceptable doctor for us and our baby. He reviewed my partner's medication and advised that she stop taking them immediately and carefully monitor the results, switching to pregnancy friendly drugs if there are still uncontrolled issue.

We managed to schedule an ultrasound for about 11:30 am in a nearby hospital and so we decided to also see a financial planner in the afternoon. The first ultrasound wasn't showing enough detail so the doctor decided an internal ultrasound would be better. My partner was totally busting from the water she was asked to drink so she was very relieved when the doctor said the internal ultrasound works best with an empty bladder. After a short delay, we were again looking at the ultrasound image on the screen. The doctor took measurements of ovaries, and then had a quick look around to find the embryo. When she pointed it out, I was filled with wonder. A tiny blinking blip on the screen, only 3 mm long. The blinking is apparently caused by a heart beat. 3 mm long, so tiny and yet one day it will be a person, with a job and a family. The doctor said that judging by the size, the embryo is 5 weeks and 4 days old.

After lunch we went to our financial institution and spoke with a very friendly and helpful man about the possibilities of getting a home load. This was absolutely dream shattering. Even if we could scrape together the $30k+ deposit and afford the regular repayments at the current interest rate, we would never be approved because the approval process uses an interest rate about 2% higher than what the bank is offering. At best, we could probably borrow about $200k if we borrow against the equity in one of our parents houses. My partners parents are recently divorced and both have significant new mortgages because of it. That leaves my Mum, I know she has already borrowed on some of her home's equity to pay for renovations but I am not sure how much of the house's value is borrowed and how much is equity. I guess we can talk about that on friday when we tell her about the pregnancy.

Thursday 24th November: The shock had mostly worn off by this point so I went about my normal daily life during the day. In the evening I was feeling stressed and depressed, like I can't keep this up and there's no hope of getting through. My partner made me feel better with a cuddle and a talk about what was bothering me: basically that I have been in school, then more school, then uni, then work, and for a significant amount of that time, my partner has been with me but not pulling her weight. Things were starting to look very hopeful for the future, my partner has been doing work experience and I have been doing well at work. It looked like we were on track for our long term plan of saving for a couple of years, buying a house, then starting a family. Things are just going to be different now, that dream is gone.

My partner's Mum gave us a rattle she bought some time ago and was saving for an appropriate time. It has a pastel pink handle, pastel green ball, and a very colourful butterfly on it. I'm sure babby will love it.

In bed we were talking and decided to also name the baby babbles until we know the gender. This is an extension from the previous name of babby. We let our minds wander for a while and my partner said she would like to write a diary of her pregnancy. This is when I thought of doing a blog. We let our minds wander a little more and I thought about what I want for babby. I would like a model of the solar system instead of the normal dangling rainbows and whatnot. I vaguely remember seeing kits for such a model but failing that, I think we can make one with some basic craft supplies from Spotlight.

Friday 25th November: Finally we are up to today. It has been a long week and I'm glad the weekend is near. Tonight we are having dinner with my Mum and telling her about our pregnancy. I'm sure it will go well and I hope she appreciates that we waited to tell her in person.

So that's my story so far. Looks like I might have enough stuff going to make a small post every day. We'll see what the future brings I guess.

Thanks for reading,
    Matt

P.S. If you think you know my secret identity, please don't tell anyone! We are hoping to tell certain people in person and we don't want them to find out beforehand!

2 comments:

  1. PS - Chianna will be much more impressed by this when she grows up if you keep it up!!

    Daddy's baby journal would mean alot. *MOTIVATION!*

    ReplyDelete